In my 2 afternoons of house hunting, I had the opportunity to see 10 (or so) apartments in different parts of the city. Obviously, I was looking for the best apartment I could find within my budget, but I also enjoyed thinking about some of the addresses I could have. For instance, I was really hoping the place on rue Neil Armstrong was nice, or maybe the one on rue du Dr. Joseph Peffer. I mean, who wouldn’t want to live on rue Dr. Peffer? It makes me thirsty just thinking about it. Rue du 9 Mai 1944 would have been pretty easy, too, although I have no idea what happened on that date. The other street names weren’t quite so interesting, but they were still, at worst, only moderately difficult to pronounce (and spell):
rue de Gasperich
route de Thionville
rue Ernest Beres
rue Edouard Grenier
rue Pierre Federspiel
So where did I end up? Unfortunately, not at any of these addresses. No, the best apartment I saw (peach colored walls and all) was on none other than…drum roll please…am Weischbaendchen. No, I’m not joking. I couldn’t make that up if I tried.
Truth be told, after having to write it down a few times (with the aid of a cheat sheet), I have gotten pretty comfortable spelling it. And though I’m still not sure I really know how to pronounce it, I think it is either “vice-band-chin” or “vie-shh-band-chin.” Either way, it’s home now.
So for those that are interested, my full address is:
3, am Weischbaendchen
L-5842, Hesperange
Luxembourg
No comments:
Post a Comment