Thursday, October 22, 2009

A "peachy" apartment

I spent the last two afternoons searching for available apartments and narrowed the list down to three, all of which have their warts and none of which are perfect. But since I have exhausted my PwC-provided time with the relocation company, and since I understand that good apartments go quickly, I think I should probably take what is available. The best of the bunch - given price, location, and other factors - seems to be a relatively new construction building in Fentange, which is a bit South of town but has a direct route to the office. The biggest knock on this place is the wall color - every wall in the apartment is covered in peach paint. Definitely not ideal, but, as I said, there were no "perfect" apartments and, for the price, location, size and layout, this seemed to be the best option. We'll see if I think the same tomorrow and whether I decide to pull the trigger, but it seems very likely that I will call it home (and either paint it or live with the peachiness).

After having dinner/drinks with some co-workers tonight (Thursday), I feel that I should probably confirm whether I am allowed to have a grill at my chosen apartment. I also question whether I should continue to look on my own and see if I can find a better/cheaper place. But, as I start work Monday, I will probably just make a decision and run with it so I don't have the stress of finding an apartment hanging over my head as I go to work.

Other than apartment-hunting, I haven't done a whole lot while I've been in town. I have made two trips to the U.S. Embassy in an attempt to register myself in Luxembourg. On Wednesday, I found that they are only open on Thursdays for Consular appointments. When I went back on Thursday, I found that the only way to register was online and there was really nothing else to do at the Embassy itself. I guess the two trips were a bit of a waste of time, but at least I now know exactly where the Embassy is as well as the best way to get there by bus. I also opened a bank account this morning (Thursday) and spent some time wandering around the City Centre yesterday (Wednesday) before we went house hunting.

Admin seems to rule the day right now. Hopefully more exciting ventures await.

No comments:

Post a Comment