When I awoke to the alarm sounding at 6:45am, I certainly wasn’t anxious to get up and hit the road. But after a few minutes of internal debate, I decided there was no good reason not to head south. I had taken Monday off and knew that if I stayed in Luxembourg, I would kick myself for not doing something more exciting for my birthday. However, with my recently acquired fear of driving in the snow, I decided it would probably be best to leave my loaner car at the France/Switzerland border and ride the train to my final destination. So I drove to Basel, Switzerland (~3.5hrs), parked the car and bought a train ticket to Lauterbrunnen, which, for a little extra, also included a lift pass for the Jungfrau region, where I planned to ski on Sunday. The next 2.5hrs were spent reading, napping and enjoying the gorgeous Swiss countryside/mountains from the comfort of the train. This was much better than driving and well worth the money for the train ticket.
I hadn’t booked a hotel room in Lauterbrunnen, but had scoped out a few places online that supposedly had availabilities as of Saturday morning. When I arrived, I stopped by the information office in town to inquire as to where those hotels were located. While I was there, the lady working the desk called the hotels on my list to confirm that rooms were still available, which they basically weren’t (at least not for the price I had seen and was willing to pay). She called a couple of other places, though, and found one that had rooms available in my price range. I was off to check in at the Hotel Jungfrau and then to rent skis from the local ski shop. The rest of the evening I spent “sightseeing,” which consisted of walking up and down the one street in town while it was still light outside. I went to the grocery store to buy provisions for the weekend, ate wienerschnitzel at my hotel and had a quick beer at the only pub in town before turning in for the night.
I got an early start on Sunday morning, as I was pretty sure it would be my only day skiing and it was a good 45min train ride to the top of the mountain. I made it to the slopes around 9am, stuffed my bag in a locker and starting skiing. It had been about 5-6 years since I had been on skis, so I took it easy at first and went down a “beginner” slope, which ended up taking me pretty much all the way down the mountain, where I had to catch another 30min train to get back to where I started. The rest of the day, I hit as many “intermediate” runs as I could, traversing the mountain multiple times and taking in the beautiful scenery until the clouds and snow settled in and I couldn’t see more than 200-300 yards in front of me.
I don’t know if it was the lighting, the fact that I was above tree-line (and therefore everything was white with very little contrast) or my old eyes, but I have to admit that I struggled a bit on the slopes, especially with the subtle undulations that were prevalent on most, if not all, of the runs. More than once my feet dropped out from beneath me when there was an unseen dip in the slope. I also had a little scare when I ended up in deep powder on the wrong side of a trail marker, where I quickly fell down and lost a ski. It took a good 10 minutes to eventually find the missing ski in the powder, during which time I was very concerned that my day had ended at 1:30pm and I would be paying for a lost ski. Otherwise, I had a great day and got my money's worth by skiing almost non-stop from 9am to 3:30pm.


Adam, Paula and enjoy your blogs very much!
ReplyDeleteWe were in Amsterdam to catch a boat tour in 2008 that ended in Budapest. Great country.
Sorry about your snow "incident", but a belated Happy Birthday! Uncle Bill